When harvest season arrives, you’re busy. You’re headed in many different directions, and you don’t have a single minute to waste. That’s why pre-harvest grain bin maintenance is so important. We hope there’s a lot of grain about to pass through your dryer, handling equipment and bins. And with no room in the schedule for a breakdown, it’s critical that every piece of equipment is in excellent operating condition and ready for what could be your best year yet. Take advantage of the lull just before harvest - don’t wait until the combines are rolling!
Here are seven pre-harvest steps to help you ensure your grain bins are prepped and ready for harvest:
- Examine and clean all of the control boxes and sensors. If any component looks out of order, replace it.
- Inspect all belts for correct tension and replace any that look worn or problematic.
- Check chains and drives for tension and lubricate well.
- Remove debris from the dryer, auger, drag and bin - inside and out.
- Lubricate all bearings.
- Ensure safety cages, shields and dump points are secure and in good condition.
- If any components show damage or excessive wear, replace them.
During a busy harvest, any of these could fail - and down time is something no farmer can afford.
NOTE: When maintaining your grain conditioning system and its components, always turn off all power and use appropriate safety practices, including “lock-out/tag-out” procedures. Learn more about safety procedures from our grain bin safety checklist.
For more information, contact your local GSI dealer.